Celebrity Obituaries

Review this week's trending celebrity news stories

Grief Recovery Guidance Center logo

John James, founder of The Grief Recovery Institute

John W. James

Founder of The Grief Recovery Institute®
Co-Author of The Grief Recovery
Handbook & When Children Grieve

Articles & Media

I’m Fine And Other Lies!!!

Approximately 20% of your ability to communicate is verbal, leaving about 80% as non-verbal.

Non-verbal communication includes tone of voice as well as facial and body signals. When our verbal and non-verbal signals do not match, most people will respond to the non-verbal. So when you lie, most people can SEE it.

A common thread running through the articles we write is the mis-information we were all subjected to about processing the normal emotions caused by loss. We don’t want to create any new loss issues by blaming our parents in particular or society in general for having passed on ineffective ideas, skills, and tools for dealing with loss.

What we want to do is establish that what we have been using to process our sad, painful or negative feelings hasn't worked, and that we need to acquire more effective tools for dealing with loss events, particularly when someone important to us dies.

Much of the incorrect information we learned and practiced may have convinced us not to show our REAL feelings at any cost. We were taught to bury any feelings that dealt with sadness. We were taught: “Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone.”

This and hundreds of other cliches about dealing with sad feelings taught us to lie about how we felt. And even the lying was protected under other mis-information like: “Don't burden others with your feelings.”

When we make public appearances we often ask a large audience this question: “Do you like being lied to?” Of course no one says yes. Our next question is: “How many of you have ever said I'M FINE when you were feeling terrible?” Every single hand in the audience goes up.

Conclusion: Nobody likes being lied to...and everybody lies about their feelings.

Every time we lie to others we lie to ourselves. Our subconscious mind hears the lie and continues to bury the feelings generated by the initial event. Unresolved losses are cumulative, and cumulatively negative.

In as much as time does not heal the pain caused by loss, neither does lying about our feelings. It would be impossible to cure such a massive problem in a single article, but let's try for a little bit of improvement. Allow yourself to believe that the subconscious mind will take actions based on conscious commands. When we lied and said we were fine we told our mind there was no problem so it need not search out a solution. The net effect is to allow the cause of the problem to go unattended and re-bury itself.

The next time it attacks we may not be able to recognize the cause or source of the attack. A major key to dealing with your grief is to process every feeling in the moment you have it. It does not require any special skills to tell the truth about what you’re feeling. For example: “How are you?” “I'm having a tough day, thanks for asking.”

Notice that the answer is truthful but does not invite any help or advice. It also has the capacity of serving notice that you are not on your game and the other party can respond accordingly. When you say “I'm fine,” but you're not, you have sent a very confusing message.

© 2022 John W. James and The Grief Recovery Institute®. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint this and other articles please contact The Grief Recovery Institute at info@griefrecoverymethod.com or by phone, 800-334-7606.

« Prev Article View Article Archives Next Article »

More Articles

Find Local Support

If you or someone important to you wants help with grief: Look for a Certified Grief Recovery Specialist℠ in your community. The Grief Recovery Institute ® trains and mentors Certified Grief Recovery Specialists℠ throughout the United States & Canada.

Workshops & Training Schedule

The Grief Recovery Institute ® offers Certification Training programs for those who wish to help grievers.

    April 2017
    Indianapolis, IN - April 7-10, 2017
    Princeton, NJ - April 7-10, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire, England - April 21-24, '17
    Denver, CO - April 21-24, 2017
    Vancouver, BC, Canada - Apr 28-May 1,'17
    San Francisco, CA - Apr 28-May 1,'17
    May 2017
    Seattle, WA - May 5-8, 2017
    Dallas, TX - May 5-8, 2017
    Milwaukee, WI - May 19-22, 2017
    Torquay, Devon, England - May 19-22, '17
    Regina, SK, Canada - May 19-22,'17
    Los Angeles, CA - May 19-22, 2017

View All Dates »